Employers no longer have the upper-hand when selecting new hires. In our current job market, the tables have turned and candidates have the power! With this in mind, what are candidate expectations before, during, and after the recruiting process?
CareerBuilder and SilkRoad teamed up to survey 1,114 full-time employees and 1,138 employers about the candidate recruitment process. The summary of findings is in this October 30, 2018 press release.
Summarized below are some of the key findings from their research and an infographic to share.
Today’s Candidate Expectations
Candidates reveal how they want to be communicated with and what they expect from employers:
- Almost 50% of companies say it is taking them longer to fill jobs
- 68% of employees believe their experience as a candidate reflects how the company treats its people
- 82% of employees expect employers to provide a clear timeline for the hiring process and keep them updated when they apply for a job
- 43% of employees say they have higher expectations for how employers will treat them as a candidate
- 55% will give up and move on if they haven’t heard from an employer within two weeks of applying
- Candidates will invest less than 10 minutes to a job application (20%), or two to three pages on a mobile device (21%), before the drop off
- 51% of job candidates report they’ve looked for other jobs even when an offer has been extended and the background check is in process
- Employers say, on average, 1 in 7 candidates (14%) walk away after they accepted the offer
- Approximately 67% of employers report almost a quarter of new hires not showing up after accepting a position
- 9% have left a company because of a poor onboarding experience
- 51% of employees expect HR to check in with them regularly throughout their first year
What Do You Expect?
When searching for your next gig, keep these expectations in mind. Perhaps even more important, consider revising your expectations against today’s standards!
For this post, YouTern thanks our friends at Career Sherpa.
About the Author: Hannah Morgan is a career sherpa, guiding new job seekers through the treacherous terrain of job search. If you are looking for no-nonsense advice, check out her site Career Sherpa. And follow Hannah on Twitter for the latest job search news and trends!