I’m typically asked this question after I show people how to use LinkedIn’s Advanced People Search function. Often, they don’t see themselves near the top of the search results and want to know why. Or, worse yet, they see a competitor above them on the list.
Well, I cannot tell a lie—getting to the top of search does involve some LinkedIn magic.
Only LinkedIn knows exactly what goes into their search algorithm. But my research and professional experience have helped me roll back the magic curtain a bit. So, I can share some helpful tips with you now…
What Does LinkedIn Say?
“The ranking of search results on LinkedIn is dependent on ‘relevancy to the searcher.'” In other words, LinkedIn is trying to save you time by putting what they consider to be the best choices for you at the top of the list.
If you want to read LinkedIn’s official stance on this question, check out these articles from the LinkedIn Help Center.
So, What Does this Mean to You?
In summary, the information shared by LinkedIn is revealing at the highest level but intentionally confusing (or magical) at the detail level—but don’t lose hope.
Based on my interpretation of these statements by LinkedIn, along with lots of articles on this subject and the countless hours I’ve spent helping my clients improve their LinkedIn search ranking, here are seven simple action steps (along with additional resources) you can take to improve your chances of coming up higher in a search.
- Add your most important keywords to your profile in the right spots.
- Make sure your profile has an All-Star ranking.
- Join LinkedIn groups that have members in your target audience.
- Share your own status updates in addition to sharing, “liking” or commenting on other people’s status updates and group discussions.
- Request recommendations from your connections, and endorse and recommend others as well.
- Improve the Skills section of your profile.
- Most important (and this is an ongoing process), grow your LinkedIn network.
Follow these steps carefully. Then experience a little of your own LinkedIn magic!
For this post, YouTern thanks our friends at Power Formula.
About the Author: Wayne Breitbarth is the CEO of Power Formula LLC. An experienced businessman, speaker, and author, Wayne shares his passion for social media with 40,000+ business professionals. Through private business consulting and presentations to audiences including Inc. Magazine and also the American Marketing Association, Wayne makes LinkedIn simple. Wayne is the author of the best-selling book The Power Formula for LinkedIn Success. Connect with him on Twitter.