Great news! Searching connections in your LinkedIn network to find a certain type of person just got much easier. And this applies to you whether you have a free account or you’re paying to use LinkedIn.
If you’re like me, you really appreciate receiving referrals from people in your network, but it’s not easy to ask the open-ended question…
“Who in my network could help me find a job?”
Rather than putting all the pressure on your connection to come up with the right people, why not use LinkedIn’s newest feature to find the right people all by yourself.
Searching Connections in Your Network
Follow these simple steps, and you’ll quickly discover who might be able to help you achieve your goal.
- Put your cursor in the big, white search box in the top toolbar.
- Then select Search for people with filters from the drop-down menu.
- On the right side of your screen, under Filter people by, go to the Connections of box.
- Then type in your connection’s name. When his/her name appears in the drop-down menu, click that entry.
- Then use any of the other available filters to narrow the search to people at the right company, location, school attended, title, etc.
- Review the list that LinkedIn provides for you. Then, when you find people who look interesting to you, check out their profile. (One caveat: If your connection has chosen to hide his/her first-level network from his connections, you’ll only be able to see people to whom both of you are connected.)
You’re all set. It’s now time to connect!
The Best Possible Way to Connect
There is a simple rule of connecting through a mutual acquaintaince on LinkedIn:
Don’t cold call. Instead, ask your connection how best to approach that person.
Suggest connecting through a LinkedIn connection request, phone call, email, in-person meeting, etc. If you know the person well enough, ask for a personal introduction. Your network will appreciate the homework you do before asking for a referral.
I know you’ll be as excited as I was to see that LinkedIn has brought back this feature. So give it a try today!
For this post, YouTern thanks our friends at Power Formula.
About the Author: Wayne Breitbarth is the CEO of Power Formula LLC. An experienced businessman, speaker, and author, Wayne shares his passion for social media with 40,000+ business professionals. Through private business consulting and presentations to audiences including Inc. Magazine and also the American Marketing Association, Wayne makes LinkedIn simple. Wayne is the author of the best-selling book The Power Formula for LinkedIn Success. Connect with him on Twitter.