The reality is that college students everywhere are learning that you must be ready to compete for the job, aggressively, well before you walk across that stage, diploma in hand.
Let’s just say: “Regrets… they have a few.”
Here are the top 10 things recent grads said they would do differently if they had it to do it all over again:
- I would have started looking for jobs earlier.
- I would have actually networked.
- I would have taken on a job or an internship in addition to my course-load.
- I would have gotten more involved in career-relevant extracurricular activities.
- I would have applied to more jobs, earlier.
- I would have focused more on becoming professional.
- I would have done more to figure out what my career goals were.
- I would have gone to the career center.
- I would have kept better track of my achievements.
- I would have focused more on developing relevant skills.
If you are starting to prepare for the fall semester, you have time – right now – to build career strategy into your goals for the school year.
What choices will you make now? How much time will you set aside… to side-step any career regrets?
About the Author: Lea McLeod is author of the Resume Coloring Book. Check it out if you are struggling with writing your resume in today’s job market. She’s also founder of the Job Success Lab so that you can GO PRO in any job! Follow her on Twitter and her blog: DegreesofTransition.com.