It seems there’s plenty of advice out there about how to be a great mentor… but little on how to become a great mentee.
So where do you turn to learn how you build a mutually-beneficial relationship with a mentor? What should you expect from a quality mentor? And how can you help co-manage expectations?
So today we challenge you to take a look at this infographic from Halogen Software, which outlines how to be a good mentor, and spin it around… to take a look at it from the mentee’s position. Specifically, as a mentee, how will you:
- Help identify goals and positive outcomes?
- Create an actionable learning and discovery plan?
- Help your mentor identify the challenges you’ll soon face?
- Introduce roleplay (and perhaps reverse roleplay) situations?
- Schedule job shadowing and manage post-shadow debrief meetings?
- Ask your mentor to integrate networking opportunities?
And so on…
Through this exercise, we’re sure you can light a new fire under existing and build new mentor relationships. Just as important, you’ll learn exactly what to look for, and expect from, a potential mentor.