|Internship Description: |
Note: This position is a full-time, limited term assignment. The internship program dates are June 5 through August 17,2017.
The Accounting Intern performs entry (entry- to routine-level) project work related to their field of study and General Accounting. Work involves supporting agency operations with a primary focus on gaining practical work experience and business skills for personal development or to satisfy educational requirements. Works under close supervision with limited latitude for initiative and independent judgment. This position reports to the manager or director of the assigned department.
Benefits of a TRS General Accounting Internship: This is a paid, full-time position that offers interns the opportunity to gain substantive experience in accounting, financial reporting, contracts and procurement, payroll and employee benefits, and/or budgeting. Interns enjoy the chance to get training and mentoring from experienced professionals in one or more of these areas.
$13.50/hour within 12 months of graduation
$17.00/hour currently enrolled in a Graduate program
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
General Accounting Projects
- Key Project/Deliverable: Develops and/or updates performance measures within General Accounting and Budgeting; creates procedural documents to reconcile transactions to the general ledger, identify and correct reconciliation items, and document balances.
- Prepares cash, BEVO, travel, and miscellaneous reconciliations.
- Prepares monthly budgetary financial statements, as assigned.
- Assists with budget development and preparation of the General Accounting procedure manual.
- Assists with records retention, compiling and analyzing financial data, contract closure, and administrative tasks.
- May assist in researching, compiling, and analyzing data; entering data into spreadsheets, databases, and other automated applications; and preparing complex queries and reports.
- May review forms, correspondence, reports, and other documents for completeness and acceptability.
- May assist in reviewing and analyzing agency policies, procedures, and forms and recommending changes to improve efficiency and effectiveness.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS/LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Currently enrolled in and actively attending an accredited college or university as an undergraduate student with a declared major in Accounting, Finance, Business, or other relevant program AND within 12 months of graduation; OR
- Currently enrolled as a graduate student (Master or Doctoral) in an Accounting, Finance, Business, or other relevant program.
- Applicants will be required to submit a copy of official college transcripts.