|Internship Description: |
Note: This position is a full-time, limited term assignment. The internship program dates are June 5 through August 18, 2017.
The Investment Accounting Financial Analyst Student Intern reviews and analyzes financial statements from Investment General Partners and documents key areas of control and assurance. The final internship project deliverable will be a completed matrix document, spreadsheet, or database containing all of the documentation.
The Financial Analyst Intern performs project and other work related to their field of study and investment accounting. Work involves supporting agency financial and investing operations with a primary focus on gaining practical work experience and business skills for personal development or to satisfy educational requirements. Works under close supervision with limited latitude for initiative and independent judgment. This position reports to the manager or director of the assigned department.
Benefits of a TRS Financial Analysis Internship: This is a paid, full-time position that offers interns the opportunity to gain substantive experience in accounting and financial analysis related to investment financial reporting and valuation data. Interns enjoy the chance to get training and mentoring from experienced professionals in one or more of these areas. Interns may also be eligible to continue working part-time through the fall and spring semesters, depending on department and agency needs.
With more than $133 billion in well diversified investments, TRS is Texas' largest public retirement system, and ranks as the sixth largest in U.S. public pension plans and in the top 25 in the world.
$13.50/hour within 12 months of graduation
$17.00/hour currently enrolled in a Graduate program
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Key Project/Deliverable: Reviews and analyzes Investment General Partner financial reports, documents key areas of control and assurance, and compiles relevant details into an audit matrix containing the documentation.
- Assists in the reconciliation of Investment information from General Partners and custodian bank.
- Assists in the preparation of internal Investment reports.
- Assists in review, analysis, and implementation of GASB accounting standards.
- May assist in researching, compiling, and analyzing data; entering data into spreadsheets, databases, and other automated applications; and preparing complex queries and reports.
- May review forms, correspondence, reports, and other documents for completeness and acceptability.
- May assist in reviewing and analyzing agency policies, procedures, and forms and recommending changes to improve efficiency and effectiveness.
- Assists in completing special projects and performs other work as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS/LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Currently enrolled in and actively attending an accredited college or university as an undergraduate student with a declared major in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Business, or other relevant program AND within 12 months of graduation; OR
- Currently enrolled as a graduate student (Master or Doctoral) in an Accounting, Finance, Business, or other relevant program.
- Applicant will be required to submit a copy of official college transcripts.