|Internship Description: |
Note: This position is a full-time, limited term assignment. The internship program dates are June 5 through August 18, 2017.
The TRS Health Care Communications Internship presents an opportunity to gain hands-on experience in delivering health care messages to nearly a quarter million active and retired Texas public school employees.
The Health Care Communications Student Intern performs entry (entry- to routine-level) project work related to their field of study and health care. Work involves supporting agency operations with a primary focus on gaining practical work experience and business skills for personal development or to satisfy educational requirements. Works under close supervision with limited latitude for initiative and independent judgment. This position reports to the manager or director of the assigned department.
Benefits of a TRS Health Care Communications Internship: This is a paid, full-time position that offers interns the opportunity to gain substantive experience in health care and communications. Interns enjoy the chance to get training and mentoring from experienced professionals in one or more of these areas.
$13.50/hour within 12 months of graduation
$17.00/hour currently enrolled in a Graduate program
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Health & Insurance Benefits
- Key Projects/Deliverables: Creates content for and develops a promotion strategy to re-launch the TRS health care newsletter, The Pulse with the support of the Health Care Communications team. Creates content for other mediums (print, video, and web) on consumer tips, wellness, personal stories, health plan changes and more.
- Develops a schedule for key communications to align with seasonal messages and important events.
- Fosters engagement among TRS-Care and TRS-ActiveCare participants.
- May assist in researching, compiling, and analyzing data; entering data into spreadsheets, databases, and other automated applications.
- May assist in editing articles, web content, forms, reports, and other documents for ease of understanding.
- May assist in reviewing and analyzing agency policies, procedures, and forms and recommending changes to improve efficiency and effectiveness.
- Assists in completing special projects and performs other work as assigned.
- Performs other duties (general and department specific) as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS/LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Currently enrolled in and actively attending an accredited college or university as an undergraduate student with a declared major in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, Public Relations, English, Psychology, or a science-related program AND within 12 months of graduation; OR
- Enrolled as a graduate student (Master or Doctoral) in a Communications, Journalism, Marketing, Public Relations, Psychology, or related program.
- Applicant will be required to submit a copy of official college transcripts.
Communications, Journalism, Marketing, Public Relations, English, Psychology